Gametracker

Modeling/skinning for Half-life

Sandman
    Admin

Anzahl der Beiträge : 107

Modeling/skinning for Half-life

Post  Sandman on Sun May 15, 2011 11:27 am

Hello,
    Afew people have asked how they can skin models with HL model viewer. Or How to model at all. I put together a tutorial for years, using tutorials if found in the net. The tutorial can be downloaded in pdf here:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    I would like to add that skinning and modeling are 2 diferent things. Skinning is 2d. Involving changing the appearence of a model (3d) that already exists using bmp files. These bmp files must be in a 256 color format, at best sized to a divisible of 16. Say 64, 256, 512 (never exceed the 512). So now we come to what is needed to skin. You will need HLmdl viewer or JEds Mdlviewer. A paint/photo editing program like Gimp, Photoimpact, Jasc Paintshop, or Photoshop. I use mainly Photoshop.
    How to skin.
    1: Open the model you wish to skin in MDLviewer. Under textures extract the textures you want to edit.

2: Open these extracted textures in the graphics editor of your choice. Convert these to rgb. (this is important because the original format is in 256 color, This format only allows the colors that are already in the original texture. And you can't use layers.) So you have converted to RGB. Now you can make a new layer and either paint on this layer, so to say over the original, or import from other pictures through cut and paste. I'm not going to go into detail here, because I hope that you already know how your graphics program works. Once you have made the skin the way you like it, convert it back to 256 color, and save it. You Might want to keep it open for further tweaks(Moving parts, text, or just other tweaks).

3: Go back to MDLviewer under textures and import the texture you made. Now you can explore the model. If everything is as you wish save the model. File tab ----Save as. Done
    This is skinning. For how to model download the tutorial. For modeling yo will need milkshape 3d. And of course MDLviewer and your graphics program. For higher res mdls you will need diferent programs.
    Other useful programs I often use :
    Irfanview a graphics viewer that opens most all formats. JPG gif bmp tga psd psp and many more. This can also convert from one format to another and resize as well as a few other simple but cool things like color change.
    3dsMax for those high res models.
    3dviewer this has a built in decimation program. Decimation is redusing the number of polygons. Polygons being the faces/triangles in the mdl. This opens many formats. At best use obj these can be importet into Milkshape for further use.

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:14 am